Hall of Finished Projects 2016-All

Monday, December 12, 2016

Knitpicks Yarn Review Part 1: Brava, Stroll, Capra & City Tweed

Instagram: Tangledmania
Ravelry: Tangledmania
Facebook: Tangledmania Blog
Facebook: Knit & Stitch - Crafty Sisters

From their site.
   I am hesitant to say that I am an expert about anything. But, I have made 33 projects in Knit Picks yarn, from acrylic to cashmere (mix).  In that light, here is my review of the yarns that I have worked with and their finished (and unfinished) projects.

Overview:
   Generally, I have not had any problems with any yarn from Knit Picks. The circular needle tips are in the mid-range for wear and tear, but the amazing customer service that is provided makes it very easy to contact Knit Picks and get a replacement with very little stress.

    They tend to have at a sale of at least one type of their yarn going on at a time (currently it is Stroll Hand-Painted Yarn). Their prices are very affordable and the quality is on par (or better in my opinion, depending on the yarn) with other big and small box stores.

  This yarn is almost a cross between work-horse and fun!

1) Brava Sport/Worsted


      This is the 100% acrylic work-horse and super affordable yarn. I have used sport and worsted. They both come in 50 color choices, and are $1.99 a skein (273 yards/218 yards respectively). There is also a bulky version with 136 yards and 30 colors, but I have not sampled it.


  This yarn does split a little, it is acrylic, but I will say that it wears fairly well and I am planning on getting enough of it to make a crocheted temperature blanket next year (hopefully lol).
  
2) Stroll Yarn
   Stroll yarn is a fingering weight yarn in a fine superwash merino/nylon or a fine superwash merino/nylon/stellina mix. There are 6 different options to choose from and I have used 3 of the yarns and had my hands on a 4th (but have not knitted with it as of yet).
 
  Stroll Glimmer: This is 70% fine superwash merino/25% nylon/5% stellina that is $5.89 and comes in 12 colors. I bought it in red and white, but the double knitting pattern fell by the way side. All I can say of it is that it is super soft!!!! Not a huge fan of stellina in yarn in general, but that has nothing to do with this yarn (my daughter wanted the glimmer lol).
 
   Stroll Sock Yarn (fingering weight): This is a 75% fine superwash merino/25% nylon mix in 231 yards per skein at $4.69 and comes in 26 colors. This yarn is so soft and I bought enough for the Fia Pullover (pattern by knitpicks). It was my first attempt at a sweater and I need to swatch again before my next attempt. But the yarn was soft and felt wonderful to knit, I knew it would be a super soft pullover. Absolutely usable in fairisle/colorwork.
 

Philosopher's Stone
  Stroll Tonal Sock Yarn (fingering weight): This is a 75% fine superwash merino/25% nylon mix in 463 yards per skein at $10.99 and comes in 28 colors.
 
 
  This version of stroll is hands down my absolute favorite. There is very little that I would not make with this yarn, and this will continue to be my main go-to (especially when it is on sale, yowza!!). It is soft, I have rarely had any knots of breaks (if ever), it wears well, and the colors are fantastic in double knitting or on their own!
 
  Stroll Tweed Sock (fingering): This yummy yarn is made up in 65% fine superwash merino/25% nylon/10% Donegal, is 231 yards for $4.79 and comes in 25 colors.
 
  Perhaps you did not know, but I absolutely adore a good tweed, especially a soft tweed like this one is!! I honestly wish that I had more of it. Definitely perfect for cowls, hats and sweaters. Not so much, in my opinion, for lacy shawls, but cables? Sure! It's really very lovely.

3) Capra (DK weight): This yarn is 85% merino wool and 15% cashmere, 123 yards and $7.99 a ball. With the cashmere, it is super soft and I enjoyed crocheting it in the Skokie scarf. The price is really the only downside, well, that and that cashmere is not environmentally sustainable (sorry knitpicks), but the yarn is soft and it is very luxurious. I wonder if we could get a yak version?

4) City Tweed (DK version): This fantastic yarn bestirs my tweedy heart (of course). It is made up of 55% merino wool/25% superfine alpaca/20% Donegal at $4.99 a ball and 123 yards. This yarn is VERY soft and fun to knit or crochet with. I made the Campside shawl with it and absolutely loved every minute, and would make it again with this very yarn (which is highly unusual for me haha). Get your hands on this stuff, folks.

Wrapping it up:

   You know what? I think that I will have to split this up into 2-3 parts. Because I still have Swish (dk and worsted), Palette, Wool of the Andes, Comfy, Mighty Stitch, Gloss Lace, Shadow Lace.. Well crap, I have used so much of their yarn. So this is just part 1 of a series of reviews.

  If you have any questions about my experiences, please feel free to ask! I am having a BALL! More to come, so stay tuned and Happy Holidays!!

Be Well,
Jen
Tangledmania