Hall of Finished Projects 2016-All

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Magazine Review: Holiday Vogue Knitting 2016 & Winter Interweave Knits 2017

­čśâInstagram: Tangledmania
Ravelry: Tangledmania
Facebook: Tangledmania Blog
Facebook: Knit & Stitch - Crafty Sisters

It has been a while, but welcome to this winter's magazine review of the Holiday Vogue Knitting 2016 and Winter Interweave Knits 2017.

I actually really love and dislike different things about each of the magazines. I love how big and sturdy the Vogue Knitting Magazines are (see the difference here):

But usually, I prefer the patterns in the Interweave Knits over the patterns in Vogue Knitting. Let's see if it holds true this time.

Interweave Knits: Winter 2017 Review

This is a decent magazine for men's sweaters in particular. I have to say that we really probably use these magazines for gift planning for next Christmas haha.

My favorite article in this particular magazine was in regards to the tubular cast-on's, which I have to admit I am not expert in so I am particularly interested in this article.


1) My favorite for my husband is the Limerick Henley by Mary Anne Benedetto, he loves very structural sweaters like this.


  2) Another's nice men's sweater, cables and all is the Donegal Sweater by Moira Engel. This has a beautiful neckline and cable-work.

 
Moving to women's sweaters, there were quite a few so it was hard to list my favorite (as usual for this particular magazine.
 
3) The Killarney Tunic by Sarah Solomon is bulky (so fast) and a pretty easy tunic for beginners. This is why I added it to my list of fun patterns from this magazine, and the cute turtleneck addition.
 
 


4) And then the cables get more complicated with the Ennis Pullover by Sarah Solomon. I think this is a beautiful pullover with perfect cables and would love to wrap my knitpick needles around this pattern! It is right up my alley!

 
5) The Bray Cardigan by Josie Mercier is another favorite of mind, though given the red color pulled me in first. Then came the beautiful cables. How could you not want to give this a whirl with some dk yarn?!
6) There were two lovely shawls in this magazine as well, and the entire section was geared toward brides (which I just adored). Maria's Veil by Lisa Jacobs is a piece of art! Now, to my practical heart, I don't see the usefulness of it really, but I have to add it here as a piece of art!


7) The second shawl I fancied, and may make to appease my love of triangle shawls, is the Waxwing Shawl by Susanna IC. Looks a bit repetitive, but the end result is just beautiful!
 
Vogue Knitting Magazine: Holiday 2016
  Vogue did a really good job on this magazine. Normally there are just too many items that just do not look comfortable (or child safe haha). I like comfort, so at times I don't always understand why I subscribe to this magazine, but this time they have absolutely redeemed themselves.
 
As always, their articles are fantastic. They are about people and places, as well as how to make a cardigan fit!
 
One of my favorite places to check are the book reviews, and I have one of these (Curls 2). I am really eye-balling the Top-Down Crocheted Sweater book, though.
My other favorite article is the one that goes over confusing terminology, thank you Meg Swansen!!. This may be one that should be closely checked out!
Getting to the clothes!
After I got past some shawls that were typical Vogue stuff, there were some fantastic patterns in here.
1) The #04 Faux Cable Shawl by Christopher Salas is just divine! In dk weight, it is a heavier shawl (which I like) and so pretty!! Definitely one I want to try soon!

2) The #07 Rectangular Wrap by Ann Morgan is a mosaic shawl that interested me.. I have not tried knitted mosaic, so add that to the list, and the shape of this one intrigued me.
And then the beautiful cardigans start..
3) #18 V-Neck Cardigan by Anniken Allis is very lovely. This was definitely something that I felt I could knit for work, or for home and relaxing.
 
4) #19 Cabled Yoke Cardigan by Kristen TenDyke is lovely!! I just love these cabled twists! Ahh be-still my love for cabled yokes!!
 
5) #20 Lace Yoke Cardi by Norah Gaughan (ee!) is so lovely and graceful. There is nothing better than a gentle mixture of lace and cables. Seriously. And it is worsted!!

Conclusion:
  In all, I have to say that both of these magazines have done well. Vogue surpassed themselves and Interweave Knitting did well. Both have beautiful items that I would love to knit, and hopefully will get around to doing haha.

  I hope this was helpful! I certainly enjoyed writing it. Everyone have a fantastic holiday, get these magazines and start planning for next year!! EEP!

Be Well!
Jen
Tangledmania