Hall of Finished Projects 2016-All

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Making Cancer Comfort Kits :(



Far too many people are diagnosed with cancer every year. It does not escape any family and everyone is touched by it. As someone who had cancer, and to be honest, felt like I was abandoned by most of my friends at that time (not all), I have decided to make Cancer Comfort Kits whenever I hear about someone getting diagnosed. Maybe a follow-up kit as well, I don't know yet. But this is something I can do.

The kit will include:

1) A worsted weight knitted or crocheted shawl/lap blanket. Cannot be too small, must be washable (vomit does happen, or blood, so should not be white). Must be something soft and comforting.

2) If individual is going to do chemo, include a hat. Maybe they won't lose their hair, but they can still use the hat during the summer as it should be made from cotton, soft cotton (I prefer a cotton/acrylic mix from knitpicks.com).

3) Something to snack on.

4) Something goofy to make them laugh.

Some free (on ravelry.com) and fast to make patterns are:

The Simple Crochet Shawl by Teresa Chorzepa (crochet)

Linked Shell Shawl by Jeanne Steinhilber (crochet)

Captive Hearts Prayer Shawl by Connie Davis (Knitting)

Ruffled Shawl by Gail Tanquary (knitting)


These are just a few examples, of course. I have several shawls in my bins that I have finished over the past few years and have not sold. Over time I give them away to friends and family as I feel appropriate.

  Do Unto Others As You Would Have Done Unto You
 
Typing this has nothing to do with religion, but how I live my life. I try to treat others with kindness and compassion, even when they do not return it (not always easy). Over time I have come to the realization that all we can do is all we can do. Though I have a lot of trouble staying in touch with people on a week to week basis (and I know I'm not the only one haha), I'm hoping these kits will bring some light and comfort to anyone who has cancer.
 
  I wrote this blog, not to sell them, because though I need money (haha), I won't sell the kits. It doesn't feel right to make money off of other people's suffering. But rather to continue to spread the idea of gifting to someone who is ill.  Time to find something goofy.
 
Happy Wednesday everyone!!