Hall of Finished Projects 2016-All

Friday, March 11, 2016

Pondering the Joys of Craft Technical Editing

Instagram: Tangledmania
Ravelry: Tangledmania
Facebook: Tangledmania Blog


  Anyone who has read my blog, at any point, has gotten the idea that I am seriously passionate about knitting and crocheting. I have dabbled in designing, but do not think in pictures, it is likely not the direction my crafting focus will ever be able to drift firmly towards designing my own crafts.

  What I am passionate about, and am VERY good at, is editing patterns. Part of this could be test knitting, but there is also something called Technical Editing.

Technical Editing for knit and crochet designers, mean several things beyond what test knitters can sometimes do, as well as encompass what test knitters do.



Edie Eckman has a few points (from her post I linked at her name) on what it means:

  • "Create a style sheet if one does not exist
  • Help you (designer) with pattern-writing language
  • Assure that the stitch counts and all math results in the schematic numbers
  • Assure that shaping instructions result in the right numbers
  • Assure that instructions work to create the sample garment
  • Check sample garment vs. pattern instructions to make sure they match
  • Check for consistency of language within the pattern(s)
  • Ensure appropriateness of pattern language for intended audience
  • Check for logic of construction and “best practices” for knit/crochet techniques
  • Create stitch charts and schematics (either rough charts for an art department to finalize, or final “camera-ready” art for the publisher)
  • Assure that sizing/grading makes sense, and questioning anything that seems off."



  • Kristen Tendyke explains that tech writing (again, from her webpage, linked at her name) for her is:

  • "Your pattern is checked for mathematical accuracy and for simple and precise wording.
  • Excel spreadsheet is used to verify math and will be provided upon request, at no additional charge.
  • Charts and schematics are drawn in Adobe Illustrator.
  • Finished measurements are checked to be sure they will fit comfortably onto the intended size body and I offer suggestions if necessary.
  • A list of abbreviations used in the pattern and detailed written instructions for a variety of commonly used techniques are provided, to be sure that everything the knitter needs is included in the pattern."



  •   I will admit it. I adore every aspect of looking over a pattern for errors, because we are human and it happens. I have no problem changing a written pattern to a charted, or vice versa, and enjoy the challenge. So this week, I allowed the idea to percolate in which I will start to build my resume as a knitting and crocheting technical writer. Yes, both.

      I have crocheted for 20 years, knitted for 15, and have been doing test knitting for the past 3 years with very high success. As a technical editor, my goals are to do the following:

    1) Make the pattern clear and easily understandable in every way by the crafter.
    2) Check math.
    3) Create charts if there are none (and some are desired)/create written if there are none (and they are desired). I do this quickly.
    4) Use Excel, Word, and Envisioknits to create and fine-tune patterns as requested.
    5) Ensure that patterns will create the least amount of questions possible that the designer would have to weather or correct.

    This is just a start of a beautiful friendship. Please feel free to email me at tangledmania@gmail.com for my (currently to build my resume further with references) free services. I am so excited!!

    Be Well!
    Jen
    Tangledmania