Hall of Finished Projects 2016-All

Monday, March 7, 2016

Doll, Born of Fire, and What is Coming..

Instagram: Tangledmania
Ravelry: Tangledmania
Facebook: Tangledmania Blog

Doll:
 
   This pattern is called Knit Baby Doll Pattern set by Amy Gaines. The great thing about this pattern, is that it is so customizable. I can see doing all sorts of fun patterns around the gown of the doll, fairisle, cables.. The sky is the limit!.

   I have made this doll before, according to instructions, and this time I thought it would be a great idea to do it in the round, rather than flat (and have to sew it up at the end). Well, let me tell you, I figured out why that is a bad idea.

   The reason why that was a bad idea was that it was just plain frustrating to do the increases on circulars in the round versus flat.  Flat seems to give more space for stitches to grow versus trying to do it magic loop, so I have been converted.


   This is the next doll, knitted flat up, the one above was knitted in the round, even the arms (which I may still knit in the round on the flat doll, actually).



Born of Fire:

   This past weekend, my depression continued to haunt me so I spent the weekend cuddling with my kids, building a bookshelf for my stash that is on the first floor (OMG I love it, pictures will come later this week), and working compulsively on the Born of Fire MKAL (when I didn't turn to the doll's). I have made such good progress, and I love the stroll yarn from knitpicks.com for this project.



Look, you can see the dragon's wing and tail!!

What is Coming?

1) My in-laws live in South Carolina, and one of my favorite crochet designers, Doris Chan, has a new crocheted design out called Havens Crochet Blanket Wrap through Tahki Stacey Charles (photo is not mine but from ravelry.com). The yarn will be from knitpicks.com, their comfy sport yarn, which is 75% cotton and 25% acrylic, which is perfect for South Carolina's weather.



2) Tania Richter has another double knitting mystery knit-a-long coming up, the Inari Kitsune (foxes), and we have the choice of a cowl or a scarf. I'm going to be making a cowl for my daughter in knitpicks.com stroll glimmer (which has some sparkly fiber in it) in white and pomegranate.


3) Finally, there is the Outlander 2016 MKAL (mystery knit a long) by designer Rachel Roden, which I am not too keen on being on time with it, but yarn is a-coming! With my budget, I bought knitpicks.com stroll tonal yarn in colorways kindling (I think this one is disappearing) and thunderhead. Word on the grapevine is that this one will be leaning towards plaid type, but we will see!!

Wrapping it up:

  I have dealt with depressive symptoms since I was 8 years old (I am now 35). For me, personally, my depression is what comes up during the lows of the waves of life. I know, now, that the waves will go back up and last week my feelings were probably fueled a great deal by my monthly period arriving. I knit, I get up and do something around the house, I cuddle my kids, and I give myself some compassion. I deserve a break and a breather. It doesn't make me selfish to let myself feel the way I feel or sit and knit after a long and disappointing week.

  We all deal with the dumps the only way we can. Some use medication, some use exercise, some use less healthy ways of food, nicotine or alcohol. But we are all human and just trying to give and receive a little bit of love while we make it through this world. And as the Dalai Lama has said:



Keep your head up, don't judge yourself too harshly. Be compassionate to yourself and others. One breath at a time, one heart beat at a time. We can do this. Much love to all of you and see you in a few days with a Downton Abbey wrap-up.

Be Well!!
Jen
Tangledmania