Hall of Finished Projects 2016-All

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Crafting with ADD

Instagram: Tangledmania
Ravelry: Tangledmania
Facebook: Tangledmania Blog


  ADD and ADHD is one of those things that I personally believe everyone has to varying degrees. What that means is that some people find it very easy to focus really easily on one task at a time and not get distracted; some do find it hard to finish tasks, start tasks, focus for long periods of time without feeling anxious; and some cannot sit still at all and focus on things.

  You can see one test here: Adult ADHD Test, if you are curious to explore this for yourself.

It sounds simple, but it really isn't. Just like anything with us humans, ADD/ADHD is complicated and different for each person.

It manifests for me when I was in high school and college with anxiety over starting large papers. Once I got going, I was usually okay (some tears, but okay lol). But getting going was tough because I couldn't focus, my mind would become so distracted and stressed.


 In crafting, knitting and crocheting, I am awesome at starting projects, but can be bored, distracted by new patterns, or just find a project so annoying I cannot work on it without anxiety literally driving me to distraction each row haha.

  An example of the last is my mother's blanket:

 
This was started in February of 2014... #27 Leaf Blanket for Mom..
Actually, my projects page is a really good example of my problem. I have 16 works in progress (WIPs), 4 of which were started in 2014 and I am definitely not actively working on right now haha.

Do you have startitis when are stressed over life experiences? Because I find that as a correlation as well!

Some of my friends have asked me why I do not sell my wares, but I wouldn't be able to keep up with any kind of inventory. And I actually despise knitting for others because of the anxiety with making something they will really like, main reason why I seem a selfish knitter.



 I love doing MKAL's (mystery knit a-longs) because I do not know what it will look like and if it is not for it, it goes in my bin of Finished Objects and eventually try to sell them, either on my Facebook page or at a Craft Fair (this option usually fails). The schedule that the MKAL's are on can be helpful as well, though I constantly fail in making Pi shawls haha, simply because I get distracted.

Oo

Yarn!



What about you? To what degree do you have trouble focusing and finishing tasks? Do you fidget a great deal if you are not knitting or crocheting?

Are you working on your PHD? Project half done? How many WIPs do you have? :)

Be Well!
Jen
Tangledmania