Hall of Finished Projects 2016-All

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Knitting Book Review & Interview: Jennifer Wood and Refined Knits: Sophisticated Lace, Cable, and Aran Lace Knitting

Instagram: Tangledmania
Ravelry: Tangledmania
Facebook: Tangledmania Blog



Jennifer Wood of Woodhouse Knits has a new knitting book coming out this year and I am very excited about it. Refined Knits: Sophisticated Lace, Cable, and Aran Lace Knitting. You can find it on amazon or interweave.

As a non-stop knitter, one of my goals is to knit clothes that are both comfortable and fashionable. I especially am interested in building a work wardrobe of knits, but also items that are comfortable to wear. The items in this book are exactly as the title says: refined, graceful, and beautiful. And no, I am not being paid for this review :P.

Photos are from Interweave.


Jennifer was kind enough to answer some interview questions:

Where you get your inspiration?
I actually get it from different sources. Sometimes an interesting pattern I see in nature, or a stitch pattern that I find in a stitch dictionary that I play around with until I get it just right. Then sometimes I will see somebody wearing something that I think would be fun to try to knit it.



Goal for these patterns?
I love exploring patterns with cable and lace. It is like an adventure trying new ways to use them in garments even if they seam somewhat complicated at first. That is half the fun, challenging yourself with new boundaries in knitting and creating something beautiful and wearable in the process. So I would say beauty, creating a lovely, graceful garment. Fun, watching the process of it coming together on your needles. And work, trying new things even if they are hard.



Favorite yarn weight?
Not sure that I have a favorite weight but DK is probably the weight I use the most. It is small enough to fit in lots of details, but not so small that it takes forever to knit something with it.


My favorite patterns from the book are highlighted above.
1) Idril is probably my favorite for a few reasons. It strokes my geek heart with the Lord of the Rings reference, and cables cables galore!! It is in fingering weight and has my favorite type of neckline, a vneck.

2) The second picture is Victoria and is a light fingering pullover sweater. I love the delicate lace in this pullover!

3) The third strokes my cabled heart and is called Corinne, a pullover in sport. I just adore this pattern and if I wasn't in the middle of a bunch of mkal's I would be stash diving to pick some yarn for it, though I pretty sure I do not have enough sport for a sweater :(.

4) Anwen is a delicate lace wrap that would be lovely for special events such as weddings, or first dates. It is in fingering weight and the lace looks just lovely!

Some of the patterns have fading cables, which means that the cables are designed to fade into the fabric, instead of stick out sharply. I'm honestly not sure how I feel about that, with my love affair of cables, but the effect is very beautiful. What do you think?

Be Well!
Jen
Tangledmania