Hall of Finished Projects 2016-All

Friday, November 13, 2015

Knitting Magazine Review: Vogue Knitting Holiday 2015 & Interweave Knits Winter 2016

Instagram: Tangledmania
Ravelry: Tangledmania
Facebook: Tangledmania Blog



Yes, it is that time of the year again, in which I have received both the most recent Interweave Knits magazine and Vogue Knitting Magazines.

There are some lovely things about both, but to be honest, I'm not over the moon with anything in particular. But here you go anyway, and enjoy in good health!

Vogue Knitting Holiday 2015 Magazine:

  This magazine had two very interesting articles and three patterns that were really interesting to me.

   Using app's to aid knitting (especially counting) has been happening the past few years, and I myself use the Ravelry app County Plus on my Android powered Samsung3 smart phone. It works, and it's connected to the project in my account, which is helpful. But it's pretty basic and not free. All it does is count for you..

   Vogue Knitting highlighted an interesting app for your phone called Chart Minders and seems to be useful for us chart gurus. This little section in their magazine is fantastic, I truly was enjoying reading up on the high tech, among other reviews.

Favorite Patterns:

My first is the #02 Beaded Shawl (I think they have come up with a better name, don't you think?), by Anniken Allis. What I love about this is partly the beadwork and the pattern, I think it would be a fun shawl to make, but not this year or next haha.



Next, this cowl called #07 Convertible Buttoned Cowl by Barb Brown is very lovely, though to be honest it may just be the colors that drew my eye (I'm partial to deep reds). The amount of yarn needed for the project though, especially just for a cowl is a bit daunting: 1125 yards of dk.. Colorwork, but still.. hmm.

 
The last pattern in this magazine I thought was interesting was this sweater, #17 Open Front Cardigan by Yoko Hatta. This is a truly lovely cardigan, and I adore the cables. It looks like it would work for work or home, but I can suggest from experience that a sweater like this looks better with a yarn that does not have acrylic in it. :)
 

Interweave Knits Winter 2016 Magazine:

Again, this magazine is thinner, less hardy than the Vogue Knitting Holiday, and though the patterns are more my style this one in particular was not fantastic. Maybe some day soon I will do a post on what magazine from Interweave Knits was my favorite and why, with favorite patterns and such. The articles are okay, but nothing fantastic and eye catching for me this time.


Favorite Patterns:

The first pattern that I found lovely, and something I could possibly knit, was the Inverness Sweater by Linda Marveng. The length is lovely, the cables are nice, but not too intricate or complicated. It is knit in a worsted weight (and I do not go on about the specific yarn because I rarely use the same yarn). It almost appears to be a tunic. Quite lovely, really.




The next pattern to catch my eye was the MacGowan Pullover by Quenna Lee, in worsted weight. The only problem with this pattern, to me, is that it is too short. I would prefer to have a sweater/pullover that goes down to the middle of my behind, rather than brush the top of my jeans. I'm a mom and my kangaroo pouch from two children born via csection makes me not appreciate showing that off. So I would make it longer, but the lace work, cables and what looks like seed stitch look lovely!



Next, is the Hawkherst Sweater by Amanda Bell. This is a lovely sweater in bulky yarn, Eco +, and I may actually make this in that specific yarn as I may have it around. Everything but the white/cream color that is. We shall see. I like this because with the bulky weight, it will be a fast knit and warm. The color-work is lovely and definitely doable. I also like the neckline, the way it is folded over. So definitely something I can see myself making.



Last, I liked the look of a hat called Warwick Hat by Joan Forgione, knit in dk weight. I am wanting to improve my colorwork skills (as always) and this slouchy hat looks perfect, as well as being in dk weight, so it shouldn't take too long to knit. I don't know that I would do the poof at the top of the hat, not a huge fan of those, but again, with your own version of a pattern you do not have too.



Conclusion

That is my review of the two magazines, not great. Nothing I would go "WOW" over. Not enough complicated cables for me, I think. A bit too much seed-stitch haha. The Vogue Magazine is again hardier than the Interweave Knits magazine, but I generally prefer the patterns in the Interweave Knits.

After much consideration from the last Vogue Magazine, with the double-knitting patterns, it may have won out on my preference list (oddly enough). Still want to make that doubleknit winged shawl, maybe after the holidays.

Be well!!

Jen
Tangledmania