Hall of Finished Projects 2016-All

Monday, November 2, 2015

Fair Isle Update, Knitologie and a Response

Instagram: Tangledmania
Ravelry: Tangledmania
Facebook: Tangledmania Blog



   Happy Monday, yet again! I wish these blog posts counted towards my NANOWRIMO totals, but they don't, and to be honest, I haven't even gotten started and it is day two. (Therefore, I have probably already failed haha.)

Fair Isle Sweater Update:

  Today's fun update is that I was up until the wee hours of the morning yet again (insert Scottish or Irish accent, whichever you choose) and working on my daughter's Walking Cat Sweater by Elizabeth Lovick in Knitpicks.com Swish DK (Honey and Bark colors respectively). I am 5 rows from finishing the ribbing at the bottom and I was so tired that I started to miss the throw when I was knitting hehe. So I put it down and went to sleep.


I love how the cats really do look like they are walking haha.

This pattern has earned 5 stars, in my opinion. The only changes that I have made are shortening the ribbing on the sleeves and bottom of the sweater. Otherwise it is perfect and the numbers all lined up for the size 28". I recommend this pattern for anyone who wants to try a top down sweater with some interesting (but not too complicated colorwork). Good stuff!

Also, the yarn (Swish DK from knitpicks.com) is perfect for this kind of knitting and I will definitely be using it in the future.

Knitologie Club:

Next, I'm late for showing off my October Knitologie delivery from knitcrate.com, but here it is. I did receive the Eye Sea Ewe colors and absolutely love it! One of the goals for the 1200 yards that I received very well might be the beautiful Briochealicious by Andrea Mowry. What do you think?



Response Time:

  In order to spread the news that a new blog is up, I share the link on knitting focused Facebook pages and last week I received a message about how I should look into seeing a therapist and getting on medication. As a trained therapist, I absolutely value advice like that, but let me explain myself here and why I post what I post here.


 
   Since I was 8 years old, I have suffered from chronic depression. Sometimes it is worse than other times, such as last Monday, but generally I'm able to work on it through Buddhist teachings (especially Pema Chodron) and the writings of HeatherAsh Amara. Both of these teachers have written books that I feel help me battle my inner demons (depression and self-doubt) and guide me to reclaim the child/spirit that moves me inside. I work on this a lot, and share some of my favorite tips and pieces of wisdom that work for me on here.

  On here, I also share when I feel down, because depression (and mental illness in general) is not something to be ashamed about. It is a fact of life, especially in this fast-paced, broken community, obsessed with too much information (TMI) world that we live in. My goals, here, are to show people that they are not alone and that they should be reaching out and talking about their symptoms. It is not easy and I know that I have absolutely had my share of shutdowns all the time. But it is important that we keep trying, because this is the human existence. To suffer is to be human, but to let it go is to be enlightened. It just is and together we can hold on until the painful waves retreat and we can move forward again.

  Over and over, I have had to cover my pain with a happy face. To pretend I am not sad, or furious, or grieving. Because the people around me may not know how to act with me, how to help me, because they were as damaged or more as I am and have never been taught how to reach out. I know that I have problems comforting others sometimes. To reach out and comfort another adult leaves us open to rejection, which can be very painful when repeated very often.

  I have tried therapy (and have seen some fantastic therapists) and I have been on medication. The medication does not work, and I used the therapy to push myself over humps that I came across and for validation that my instincts and my view were not wrong. And usually they were not. Currently, I am not on any medication for my depression, nor am I seeing a therapist. Partly, that is because my last therapist moved. And partly it is because of funds. I am not suicidal, and though the holidays that I detest the most are coming in, I am in no danger and over the 27 years have come to know that this too shall pass, it always does.

If you are feeling so depressed that you feel you may need help, always see a qualified therapist and use meds to help you get over the hump to a better place. They are useful tools! Just because medication does not work for me, does not mean it will not be invaluable for you!

  So practice some loving kindness, hug that inner child when they cry out in pain. Love yourself kindly, not with ego and the feeling that you are better than someone else, but that you deserve to be loved as much as anyone else. Because we all do.

Be well!
Jen
Tangledmania