Hall of Finished Projects 2016-All

Sunday, October 18, 2015

OMGosh!! Rhinebeck Sheep and Wool Festival 2015 Review - Saturday Trip

Instagram: Tangledmania
Ravelry: Tangledmania
Facebook: Tangledmania Blog


I had the most amazing day yesterday and the telling will be long, so we'll see if I end up splitting this blog post into two parts! (I am the one holding the basket and with the red shawl on).

First of all, I got up at 5am because I was going to help out at the Bittersweet Woolery booth (more on that soon). When I woke up and picked up my alpaca sweater (the first I ever knit, pattern called: Augusta Cardigan) and remembered that some stitches had come lose (broken?) at the end of a sleeve and were dropping. So at 5am, this was my quick patch (crochet style), and it worked like a charm all day.

I walked out of my back door to go to my car and looked up with a deep breath, and though no moon was out, the stars were absolutely clear and beautiful and it was a crisp 41 degrees out. A heartbeat later I realized that I had to get to the car and I started to freak out over the scary movies/shows that I had seen lately. Half laughing and half scared I ran to the car (seriously), turned on my lights, holding my breath that no figure would appear in front of the car (haha), checked the back seat, was good (probably should have done that before I got in the car haha), then I backed, up, the rearview camera absolutely freaking me out.
  And I was on my way. Seriously, I'm such a laughing dork, but it was very funny :D.

  Next, I used my cell phone to direct me to go pick up my awesome friend Deb at her house and by 7:30 we were parked at Rhinebeck and snacking on our muffins.





  So from 8-12:30 I was helping out at the Bittersweet Woolery booth (pictures above), which kiddy corner across from Miss Babs (mass rush at 9am, seriously) and Into the Whirled whose line kept blocking off the way in and out of the Bittersweet Woolery but everyone was super awesome about making space.

Something funny is that I also saw the two folks from one of my favorite podcasters (though it's been a while, in all honesty, since I've caught anyone's podcast on youtube). They were across from my booth and I could not remember their names (horrible with names am I haha) but I was just thrilled to see them. They are called Knitting In Circles and their names are Aimee and Darren. Hi Aimee and Darren!!! :D

For my hours there, which were so fun, I received these wonderful gifts (thank you Tina!!!) and I hope that more people stop at Bittersweet Woolery today because their 20% off sales are beautiful lace and fingering weight yarn.


   As soon as I left I caught up with Deb and headed straight to find Catskill Native Nursery who sells the most wonderful baskets!!! They are handmade and very affordable, I wanted to make sure that I got one and managed to even find one that was already wet from being formed in the wet baskets (so it was damp).

After that Deb and I decided to go through the barns, which we did for most of them. I have to say, I didn't find what was in the barns all that interesting, but there were a few highlights. My favorites were probably Dancing Leaf Farm below.




This picture below was from Dragonfly Fibers, and the second picture are my purchases from that location.


I cannot wait to do something beautiful and textured with this. I'm thinking a rectangular shawl, maybe I'll design something. This is 3 skeins of dk weight, so plenty!

The prices of the alpaca yarn were so lovely there, but I didn't think it would work very well for doubleknitting, which was one of the reasons I was shopping. And I mean 100% soft squishy alpaca were all over.

Next, Deb and I managed to grab something to eat (around 2pm at this point) and I grabbed a plain cheeseburger at a booth that was mostly selling steak and onions haha. That worked out, less line. Deb found a hot dog and we got off our sore feet for a while. Before we hit Building A, B and C.

I have to be honest and say that these buildings seemed to be the most interesting with some of the best prices.

One of the things I found in Building A was hexagonal needles by Indian Lake Artisans.




Now I know that I have used square needles, I have a set of size 8 dpns. And they are okay. But these hexagonal needles are superior in a few ways.
A) They are made in the USA.
B) They have a bevel joint.
C) The hexagonal design makes it as easy as with squares to do ktog and ktbl but the round design, versus square (hexagonal is six sides) make it much easier on the hands.

They come in several different types of wood, cherry, oak and maple (I believe) and are so soft in the hands. So check them out and I will let you know how they fair over time.

 
In building B were the authors, and I sincerely with that I had looked (and felt inclined to carry heavy books around) because it would have been great to have her sign mine. But Margaret Radcliffe gave a little class about knitting with variegated yarns in which I took many notes (while working on my sockhead hat knitted in variegated yarns haha). Those notes will be another post later this week, but I am thrilled that we stopped and rested our sore feet, though Deb got up and helped her by holding up the knits for examples of different techniques.
 
 


After that we moved on to Building C and among other things I attacked Miss Babs whose line had all but disappeared but it was still crowded haha.


 
It took me a while but I decided to buy some Youza-Whatta Skein to make my worsted weight Knitwitch (size 9 needles, wish me luck) with a colorway called Ammo, that was not even listed on ravelry.com haha.

I will cast this on as soon as I bind off the Squall Line Shawl (on the border now).

In general, Rhinebeck Sheep and Wool Festival was fun, peaceful, oddly clean (was that because of the main audience? Are yarncrafters cleaner at fairs?), and just an all around amazing day. I am so glad that I volunteered to help a booth and will definitely want to do that again next year (so any vendors out there, keep me in mind haha).

Here are some other random pictures I have. I hope to see you there next year!! And hopefully I will not miss the next Ravelry get together haha.