Hall of Finished Projects 2016-All

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Knitpicks Yarn Review & Autumn's End Update

Where you can find me:
Instagram: Tangledmania
Ravelry: Tangledmania
Ravelry Group: Tangledmania
Facebook: Tangledmania Blog

   Been trying to stay warm, here in New York State. I know it's even colder in other states in the northern half of the USA and I was wondering if anyone was kicking their blankets off and dreaming about being the star in movie "The Day After Tomorrow" as their feet got colder? BRRR!!!

   Luckily, I knit and crochet, so the wool in my hands keeps my hands warm!

Yarn Review:
   Been on a huge knitpicks.com yarn kick this year, so far, with the Andean Treasure yarn, Swish Worsted yarn and Swish DK yarn and now Palette Fingering. So here is what I think of each of these yarns:

 Andean Treasure: 100% baby alpaca, sport weight yarn, 50 grams with 110 yards each ball.
     This is the yarn that I started the Autumn's End sweater in, and I do not believe was the cause of my gauge problem, I think it was just me haha. but it is warm, soft, with a slight fuzzy aura. When casting on it can be a little splitty, but I didn't find that a problem when knitting with it. It is a little pricey, but it's 100% alpaca so I do not think it's too unexpected.
      So I give it 4.5 stars, the half star off simply because of the price and low yards. But it really is lovely.

Swish Worsted: 100% superwash merino wool, worsted weight yarn, 50 grams with 110 yards each skein.
    This yarn has a nice wool and warm feeling, and the price isn't too bad for the yardage. There are a lot of great colors, including the 2 colors I've ordered for the baby blankets I'm making with it; carnation and sugar plum. There is no splittiness at all, in either cables or lacework, and this yarn comes in some lovely colors.
   This one I have to give 5 stars because it is just perfect, to me.


Swish DK: 100% superwash merino wool, dk weight, 50 grams and 123 yards per skein.
   This is almost exactly like the worsted, with a nice warm feeling that isn't too scratchy. the picture is part of clue 1 for Bonnie's Wish shawl, which I have not finished (that clue) haha. Too many other things to do, but I would recommend this yarn, just like the worsted weight version.
   5 stars as well!


Palette Fingering: 100% Peruvian highland wool, fingering weight, 50 grams and 231 yards per ball.
   I started a pair of mittens and I have to say that if I had started to use this yarn even last year I would not have appreciated it. Let me tell you that it is not soft, it is a little bit on the rough side when knitting, but when you pick up the ball it actually feels warm. Which is the nice thing about animal fibers, it retains heat better than man-made fibers, such as acrylic. This is a nice and hardy yarn, perfect for mittens and the wear and tear they can go through. The color selection is just fantastic and the price is wonderful!
  5 stars here.

Well, that took quite a bit up of this blog haha. If there are any yarns that you would like me to review, or questions on a yarn, please feel free to drop a line and ask away. I would love to let you know how something knits up, how a colorway knits up and what it looks like, and the quality and feel.

Other Business:
     Yes, today I have cast on, again, the Autumn's End sweater and will start to update everyone on that progress. I am using bigger needles, 8 (5.0mm) and 7 (4.5mm) instead of what I swatched with as 7 (4.5mm) and 6 (4.0mm) and originally used on the sweater that caused such a gauge problem ultimately. It's more important to take apart a sweater and start anew, as a lesson, then to try and fit into a sweater that won't look right. I'm well aware that with the 100% alpaca, I will have less give and a different drape, but I am okay with that so the adventure continues!

  Thank you everyone for your continued support, I'm so grateful for the comments and support I get. Knit and crochet on and be well everyone!!

Yours,
Jen
Tangledmania