Hall of Finished Projects 2016-All

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Autumn's End - Try 2 and Getting Real

If any of you follow me on Facebook, you may know that I've had a problem with the Autumn's end sweater that has caused me to have to frog the entire sweater, but have no fear, I will be starting again.



   Even though I did get gauge with needles a size lower than suggested, it did not translate to the pattern. My frustration was very high and so I put it aside and will pick it up in the next week or two. I've considered turning to some of the other patterns in the book, though I originally wanted to go front to back. But this weekend I've managed to completely frog the bodice of the sweater so I will be casting on soon again with the original sized needles and see how it goes.

   On other, more cheerful notes, I know so many people that are pregnant (one with twins) this year! With tax return money I ordered from knitpicks.com some Swish Worsted (100% superwash merino wool) for two different baby blankets I will be starting. Most of the baby blankets I've done have been from bottom to top, but these two will be from the center out, so it will be fun. By the way, Knitpicks.com is having a sale on this yummy yarn so make sure you get in on that!! I just missed that sale, and I am not being paid for that mention haha. Most of their wool yarn is on sale so get in on that!

      Baby Patterns:  Cable Baby Berry Blanket by Grid Mammal Crafts and Lotus Baby Blanket by Shana Schasteen

   I'm trying desperately to finish my sockhead hat and have finally finished the 4 inches of k2p2 so the straight stitches are going faster. It probably helps that I'm actually applying myself, but it's either that, or design some arm warmers, or work on the Bonnie's Wish shawl (which I haven't even finished clue 1 haha).


  Other crafters will understand my frustration, I'm sure, with a failed project having caused a lull in my knitting progress on any project. Like my mojo is missing or my jedi powers are hiccuping hehe. Does not help that my period was happening at the same time as my discovery (and my finally admitting to myself) that something was not right with the Autumn's End Sweater. That was a very depressing few days.

Depression:
   Some folks online have mentioned their depression, in various knitting groups on Facebook, and it has caused me to wonder if mine is driven by the seasons. I tend to have a rough time of it January through March (let's not even go near December lol) so it probably is so. Of course getting my period makes me absolutely slammed with emotions and pain.

   Some of the things I tried to keep doing was keep stitching. Also, I know I am a horrible housekeeper, and with a husband who can do very little due to back injury it falls on me to do most things or it doesn't get done. This can be very frustrating, especially when my pain is not usually physical. So I have been trying to do some chores, than sit and knit, do some chores than sit and knit. Such as dishes, which requires me to heat up hot water on the stove and use that water to clean the dishes as our hot water heater is still not working on our side of the house. It works in my mother's apartment so we can take showers, thank goodness.

   But look at that, I would be horrified if someone was going through that. And I can I feel very isolated and alone, even though really I'm not if I just take the time to reach out. With me having a new job, I work and am home by 6pm when I have to get the kids fed and try to spend some quality time with them before bed at 8. Weekends I'm so tired physically and emotionally. So I'm trying to have compassion for myself so that I do not feed the resentment and loneliness that can creep up. I try and go out to my knitting group every Tuesday, make sure I take a lunch at work (especially on Fridays because there is a knitting group that meets during lunch.

    Let's take care of ourselves and try to remember that not everyone has a family that knows how to be supportive and loving. I hope these are some things I'm changing for my daughters.

Giveaway Wrap-Up:
  Knitting4life won the giveaway and was already gifted with the pattern she requested once I let her know she won yesterday. So congrats to you Knitting4life!!

  This got very long.. My computers aren't working with taping a podcast so it will be blogging for the near future. So be it. Such is life. :D.
 
   I need to go look up how long to warm up my ham for the super bowl tonight. Be well folks and thank you for being there for me.

Jen
Tangledmania