Hall of Finished Projects 2016-All

Monday, April 23, 2012

Women and Rape - Comments on a CNN Article

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/22/justice/miltary-academy-lawsuit/index.html?hpt=ju_c2

This is the link to an article on CNN.com called "Betrayal of Trust? Allegations of Rape at West Point, Annapolis" by Kyra Philips and Jessi Joseph.

 The reason for me blogging on this is because of the comments being posted underneath the article that actually make me want to throw up. Another website (http://www.oneinfourusa.org/statistics.php) states that one in four women in college report having survived a rape or attempted rape since the age of 14. I am a victim of rape, and molestation by my uncle. I know other women who were victims as well. I do not know anyone who was raped or molested who pressed charges.

  That being said, the comments on this article go from women ask for it for drinking to women are lying and cry rape when it never happened out of meanness. Considering that most women do not actually report rape or attempted rape, its highly unlikely that anyone would cry wolf in those circumstances. Do I believe that it doesn't happen, of course not. But why would a successful, high achieving, young woman report rape when she knows (from history, people) that her case will likely be blown up in the media considering where it happened. In fact, this case is hardly unusual. According to the website for the Military Rape Crisis Center states that every four hours a sexual assault or rape is reported to the US military.

  Also, you can read "The Lonely Soldier: The Private War on Women Serving in Iraq" By Helen Benedict, which documents real accounts of women in the military who were raped while serving overseas and how their cases were handled (or not as the case may be).

  With these kind of statistics, the comments I see under the CNN article disgusted me. If you want to read them please feel free to go there. In terms of copyright and such I'm not familiar with, and the fact that I do not want to read what new despicable comments have been posted, I'm not going to degrade my blog (lowly as it is) with them.

  Why did I blog about this? Because I have daughters. Because I was once in the army and they treated me just like everyone else while I was there in line, but once they discovered I had to go because I was pregnant I was a verbal punching bag. Because reaction to trauma such as rape does not equate Borderline Personality Disorder, but may just be shock and fear!

  I do believe that women should be able to serve in any capacity in the military that they choose and feel perfectly safe while doing it. If someone has a problem with it, where is the problem? With the woman who is trying to do her job, or the one who makes it a problem in the first place? Soldier is not a female or male world, it is gender neutral!

  We are making progress in this country, but the patriarchal threads that still bind and suffocate this country disgust me, and I hope that every article, every rapist who goes to jail, ever lawsuit, every man and woman who speak up to say "Women are not less then men!" breaks another thread!

  So I raise my bottle of water to every woman who has been raped and reported it and especially to those ladies who are all over the news now, Karley Marquet and Annie Kendzior. May you find peace, love and hope. You have been heard!