Hall of Finished Projects 2016-All

Monday, May 23, 2011

America "No-Vacation Nation" - Story from cnn.com

So I found a fascinating story on CNN.com about American's not vacationing for more then 1-2 weeks a year in total (on average). I know that I don't get vacation because of illness and having kids, and if I was allowed the amounts that other countries allow (Germany for example mandates legally that employers offer 4 weeks or more of paid vacation and Finland 6 weeks or more) I might be able to get more things done and hate my job less.
  Let's get into the reasons why people hate their jobs shall we? And see if workers in America really do want to work more or if the employers are so stingy they want to glean as much as they can from the working class before they drop dead (especially since most of us will probably never be able to retire at this rate).
 1) You believe you are underpaid.
 2) You believe you are doing work that is below your intelligence/educational degrees.
 3) You want to spend more time at home with your family.
 4) You want to see more of the country but can't afford the time off.

  Think about it, what other reasons do we hate our jobs? My job is not bad, in the past I have been bullied but not by my present boss and not by my professional coworkers. We live in fear we'll be laid off, and get harrassed if we take too much time off, no matter the reason. I have cancer and am pregnant and get harrassed and asked (politely but still asked) to try and take less time off. Well fine, but if you want me throwing up in my garbage bag and laying on the floor of my cubicle to stop being dizzy on my bad days, that's all on you.
  My mother does not understand why I want to finish my degree and go move to Europe or Great Britain. But it's because underneath the whole veneer that "anyone can be a millionaire and make it" in the US, the fact is that our government is run by mostly men who are also paid highly, or are involved financially in some way, with the biggest controlling companies that have moved most of their factories out of the US and into the south Asian countries where labor is cheaper. They don't want to give us vacation, we're like little robots. They don't even care if we get sick and can't get care or health insurance because they have money and no idea what not being able to afford something even means. I can't even imagine what it's like to not have to worry about paying bills month to month, and I truly do not believe they can imagine what it's like to not be able to take that vacation to Martha's Vineyard every summer.
  This is the gap I'm talking about. The folks who are in power in the federal and state governments and everyone else. The average Joe is very unlikely to be able to run for a seat in the government because it takes millions to get on TV alone.
  Do we want to take longer vacations and spend more time with our family? Yes! Is it considered a good thing to be family-oriented in the US? Yes and no. What do you think?
  To read the story go to: http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/05/23/vacation.in.america/index.html?hpt=C2&is_LR=1